- Jalmari Ikävalko
- Since 1990
- Located at Espoo, Finland Capital Region
- Worked at Uplause Ltd since Nov 2013, first as a game developer, later with lead developer & CTO duties
- Worked at Wavesum Ltd from March 2012 to May 2013, as a software developer
- Worked at Ardites Ltd from Nov 2008 to Feb 2009, as a trainee
Full stack in the full sense. Can integrate - and disintegrate when needed. I love finding and solving new problems.
I've worked with code and technology for most of my life. I see myself as a hopeless generalist rather than as a specialist. In addition to bread and butter codework, I've been exposed to the management side of servers, deployment infrastructure and the management of various small-to-medium projects.
Over the years I've touched most software development domains at least briefly. My strengths lay in flexibility, quick learning and understanding the intricate balance between client demands, maintainability, development effort and future expandability.
During my hobby hours for what goes to programming, my favorite subjects are all things related to game development from graphics to AIs to data structures to designing individual game mechanics.
Cherry-picked FOSS contributions
- Panda3D - A generic 3D engine. Contributed with minor features and design input. Involved C++ & OpenGL.
- Balanced Annihilation - A real-time strategy game. Contributed bug fixes and features. Involved Lua.
- UpTween - A down-to-earth tweening library for Unity. Involved C#.
- NWN Launcher - A launcher, game file updater, game setting modifier etc for Neverwinter Nights. Involved Python & NodeJS.
- Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist - Last but not least, 10+ years of community involvement in the spirit of true, intricate roleplaying. Involved storytelling, dungeon mastering, community management, thousands of hours of roleplaying, game balancing arguments and scripting support in a C-like language.
Buzzwords (experience may vary..)